1. U.S. Futures

Stock Market Today: October 23rd - 27th, 2023

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by bigbear0083, Oct 18, 2023.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

Morning Lineup - 10/26/23 - "Costanza Mode"
    Thu, Oct 26, 2023

39 years ago today, The Terminator, one of the most iconic Arnold Schwarzenegger movies of all time, hit the screens, and a small line that no one thought would amount to anything during production ended up turning into one of the most recognizable movie quotes of all time. After being denied entry into an LA police station to find Sarah Connor, The Terminator sized up the room and matter-of-factly said, “I’ll be back” and casually walked out. Seconds after leaving, a car comes crashing through the walls and then The Terminator gets out and proceeds to destroy everyone in his path. When faced with a roadblock, The Terminator didn’t mess around.

I wish the same could be said for the bull market that peaked in late July. Don’t get me wrong, the rally through the summer was impressive, and issues like record debt issuance from the US Treasury and war in the Middle East are more than just potholes. But the current pullback of close to 9% in the S&P 500 has been going on for close to three months now, and throughout it all, the best resistance that the bulls have been able to muster is two countertrend rallies of 3%. The small-cap Russell 2000 has been even more pathetic. It’s down 17.5% since the summer high, and through it all, the largest rally has been barely more than 4%. Terminator? The bull market’s reaction to this pullback reminds us more of George Costanza at the birthday party when he pushed all the kids out of the way trying to get out of the apartment when the fire alarm went off.

The market remains in 'Costanza mode" this morning as futures sell-off in follow-through from yesterday’s shellacking. The primary culprit has been rising rates (what else is new), but earnings results have also been lackluster as many more companies are lowering guidance than raising guidance. As if that wasn’t enough to contend with, the economic calendar this morning is jam-packed with GDP, Core PCE, Durable Goods, Initial Claims, Pending Home Sales, and the KC Fed Manufacturing report among the more notable reports. On the geopolitical front, an Israeli ground invasion of Gaza seems imminent.

Of the data that was just released, GDP topped expectations (4.9% vs 4.5%), Durable Goods Orders were much better than expected (4.7 vs 1.9%), Core PCE was slightly lower than expected (2.4% vs 2.5%), and jobless claims were mixed. While initial claims were pretty much right in line with forecasts, continuing claims surged to 1.790 million which was the highest reading since May. In reaction to the data, treasury yields declined while equity futures got less worse.

Yesterday’s 2.5% decline for the Nasdaq 100 was the index’s worst day of the year. That’s notable because it’s extremely uncommon for the index’s worst day in a calendar year to fall this late. The scatter chart below shows the day (x-axis) and magnitude (y-axis) of the Nasdaq 100’s worst day in each calendar year. Yesterday’s 2.5% decline ranks as the third latest day in a year that the index had its worst day, trailing only 1997 and 1991. 2018 was also close, but the worst day in that year was a day earlier.

There are still two months left in the year, so we could conceivably have an even worse day for the Nasdaq 100 between now and year-end. However, if yesterday ends up being the Nasdaq 100’s worst day, it will also rank as the third mildest worst day of a year for the index trailing only the 2.3% declines in 2005 and 2013.

[​IMG]

stock1234 and OldFart like this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is a final look at today's market and futures maps, as well as how each sector performed individually at the close on Thursday, October 26th, 2023.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#42 bigbear0083, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    stock1234 likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here are some of the notable earnings releases due out after today's close:

[​IMG]

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here are some of the notable earnings results after today's close and their after-hours action:

[​IMG]

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

btw guys! i completely forgot to make a quick mention of this in here. but, i have gone ahead and shortened the nightly server maintenance outage from 1-4 am eastern time to now 1-3 am eastern. so this site should now be accessible about an hour earlier than what it had been previously in the early mornings.

previously this site would not have been accessible at 3am eastern due to the overnight server maintenance, but now it should. i think oldie you sometimes get up at around that time to start your trading day. so, now this site should be up and running about the same time that you wake up in the AM. ;)

hope you guys have all been doing well! i can't thank you guys @stock1234 and @OldFart enough for keeping these threads active every week!! :thumbsup:

i'm not quite yet "back" to normal routines yet, but slowly but surely i've been getting the pre-market threads back again haha. it's been a process but hopefully i'll be back to old times again shortly. :p

6. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

@bigbear0083
    I thought the bot took over during those time periods and was coordinating with other bots to take over the world…:eek2:

upload_2023-10-26_19-9-53.jpeg

bigbear0083 and stock1234 like this.
  7. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, as you know I am living in Hawaii so I might actually log onto this forum around 3 am eastern especially if I forget to submit my vote for daily poll during the day :thumbsup:

bigbear0083 and OldFart like this.
  8. stock1234

For now it looks like the AMZN earnings will lift the market tomorrow but we also have the PCE tomorrow so it is far from a sure thing :p The market is getting a little bit oversold though for the short term and I would not be surprised to see a bounce just before the weekend

9. stock1234

There is no bottom for ENPH :laughing:

10. stock1234

Well good to hear you are slowly trying to get back to your normal routines Cy :thumbsup:

11. OldFart

Ford got sold off on earnings.
    I still have 100 shares in the IRA, but well protected with an options collar, so not worried.
    Longer term hold for me, and I’ll just keep making money on the options collars, like I did in 2008 / 2009.

bigbear0083 and stock1234 like this.
  12. stock1234

Good luck :thumbsup: Speaking of the auto stocks I have not traded them for awhile, I think I have not traded F or GM for a few years :eek:

13. OldFart

All auto companies got their asses handed to them when they decided to go all EV, and then noticed no one wants a friggin EV, and sales plummeted. Ford, GM, Mercedes, etc have all said it was a mistake, and now going back to building gas engines ( dumb asses ).
    They need to realize -> we're the customers, and we don't like crap forced on us.
    I think most have gotten their heads out of their asses now, so we'll see what happens....

stock1234 and bigbear0083 like this.
  14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Top of the morning StonkForumers! :coffee: Happy Friday to all of you and welcome to the final trading day of the week and a frrrrrrrrrrrresh start. Here is a quick check on those futures as we are a little over 2 hours into the US cash market open.

GLTA on this Friday, October the 27th, 2023! :cool3:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Morning Lineup - 10/27/23 - An Up Day to End the Week?
    Fri, Oct 27, 2023

It’s getting to the point where if you want to see the market trading higher, set your alarm an hour or two earlier. Dow futures were firmly in the green very early this morning but reversed sharply a couple of hours ago as oil prices spiked following news that the US had launched airstrikes on certain targets in Syria. You know what that means; we’re heading into another weekend with a ton of uncertainty over what’s going to happen in the Middle East. There’s very little incentive to take much of a stand heading into an over 60-hour lull where the equity market will be closed for trading. Therefore, how the market manages to finish the day today will give a good idea of how sentiment looks after a rough couple of weeks of trading. Not including today, the S&P 500 has been down on five of the last six Fridays.

While Dow futures are now firmly in the red, S&P 500 futures are hanging onto positive territory (for now), and the Nasdaq is indicated to open firmly higher. Whether those gains hold will depend in part on how this morning’s economic data comes in relative to expectations. At 8:30, we got updates on Personal Income (weaker than expected) and Personal Spending (stronger than expected) as well as the PCE Deflator on both a headline (higher than expected) and core (inline) basis. At 10:00, the University of Michigan will give us updates on overall consumer sentiment and inflation expectations. Of the reports, Core PCE and the inflation expectations components of the Michigan survey are the two we’ll be paying closest attention to.

The last five trading days have been painful for US stocks, but the weakness has been global in nature. The snapshot below from our Trend Analyzer shows the performance of regional global equity ETFs and where they stand relative to their trading ranges. Outside of Europe, which is still oversold, every other ETF in the snapshot closed yesterday at ‘extreme’ oversold levels. Declines have been widespread around the globe with every ETF trading down at least 1.5% over the last week and all but two are at least 5% below their 50-day moving averages.

Looking a little closer at the returns in the last week, US equity ETFs have been hit especially hard with declines of more than 3% while most of the other ETFs are down closer to 2% or less. The underperformance of US equity-based ETFs is mostly a reflection of the weakness in mega caps this week. Mega caps have been big drivers of US outperformance this year, but now investors are getting a taste of the process working in reverse.

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is a final look at today's market and futures maps, as well as how each sector performed individually at the close on Friday, October 27th, 2023.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#56 bigbear0083, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    stock1234 likes this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is a quick recap of this AM's econ. events and results:

[​IMG]

#57 bigbear0083, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    stock1234 likes this.
  18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

And here is a quick preview of next week's notable earnings releases courtesy of Earnings Whispers:

Have a great weekend everyone!

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.