1. U.S. Futures

[Brainstorming...] New Challenge Idea

Discussion in 'StonkForums Competitions' started by bigbear0083, Aug 11, 2017.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey folks!

So, as I had a little free time this afternoon I was thinking up a new challenge idea for the community here. Let me know what y'alls think of this one!

I was thinking of creating a weekly or a monthly challenge where participants would pick out 5 stocks for the week or month. I was thinking of making this like managing a stock portfolio. The same rules as we have for our normal stock picking challenges would apply for this new challenge as far as when picks would open (first day of the new trading week or month), with participants allowed to close out their picks at any time during the trading week.

Anyway, here is a sample spreadsheet that I created (similar looking as the daily spreadsheets, was a little lazy creating a new setup for now)

I created 2 other sample members in this particular example as well (@stock1234, and @tbw875).

[​IMG]

Then, I have another sheet where it will display your total returns from all 5 of your stock picks. And you can see at a glance who is leading for the week or month as seen here-

[​IMG]

This obviously still has a lot more work. But, this is just in the brainstorming stage for now.

Let me know what you guys think of this new challenge idea. If you have any questions or if this doesn't make any sense feel free to shoot away! :)

EDIT: In this example I used 5 stocks, but obviously we can change this to any # if needed.

2. tbw875

tbw875 Active Member

Well I'm cool with this seeing I'm #1 on it :p jkjk

Can we remove this a little bit more from the Weekly stock picking contest?
    Maybe we start with a fixed amount of cash, say $10,000 or some other magnitude. You spend it however you want, and see who has the most money at the end of the contest.

Also just spitballing. Either direction looks like fun!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

Sounds good Cy :D I think it might be a good idea to start this format out in the monthly challenge first, and if it is popular then we expand it to the weekly challenge as well. Just my 2 cents :)

I also would like to let Cy and all of you know that I will be in the process of moving to a new home between end of this month and early next month, and I could miss the contests on some days if I am busy moving into my new home. Right now I still expect to make my picks in the contests, but if I miss them then you guys know why :D Might not be that active posting too until mid September, but I will be back :p

bigbear0083 likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

@tbw875 - hmm ... that sounds interesting! i'll have to see if i can run something like that on google sheets. it's a nice idea.

@stock1234 - i wish you all the best with your move! thanks for that heads up! will really miss you around here. take all the time you need. :)

thx for the input! so basically this new challenge idea is largely just branching off our current contest formats, the only thing different in this new contest would be allowing members to make more picks than just the usual 2 picks. i know in the example that i used in the 1st post here i used 5 picks, but we can use any number of pick you guys wish to start out with. we can do something like 10 picks just to make it really fun and interesting. :D

but, yeah it's basically no different than our other challenge formats as far as how it works, etc. i didn't want to really deviate too much from those formats initially since everyone is pretty familiar with how the other challenges work so i just wanted to run something that gave people more picks to choose from.

and i agree with you that doing this on a monthly format makes sense to me. will be easier to run, and less work load generally speaking.

stock1234 likes this.
  5. stock1234

Since it is a brainstorming thread I guess I will throw out some ideas too :D Maybe we can have the "Playoffs" end of the year for people who finish in the top 4 in the contests after the first 10 months, then we have the "Playoffs" in November and December. 1st seed vs 4th seed and 2nd vs 3rd seed in the first round then the winners moving onto the Finals, something like that :D We already tried something similar back then.

tbw875 and bigbear0083 like this.
  6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

here is my sample spreadsheet that i'm currently working with right now if you guys would like to get an idea how this would kinda look.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f8XaCSa4CfQX1OW9xVPPaa3BXtjM9V7NGlX5tMU9teU/edit?usp=sharing

to see the individual members picks and how they're performing you click on the name tab at the bottom of the sheet.

in this spreadsheet example i'm using 8/7 as the starting point for picks.

haha, it's interesting you bring up the "playoffs" idea in here @stock1234! i too was thinking of this as well today. :D

i still have my spreadsheets from when we last trial ran that at the other place so it will be nice to have it already setup to go when we run it at the end of the year! i like it! :cool:

7. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Well, if its a portfolio challenge, wouldnt it be more real world if we just let it run?

instead of weekly or monthly, just make it permanent.... with the option any time to drop one pick and replace it with another

8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

yeah that would be ideal @Jrich! but i'm afraid that might not be possible with the setup that i have with the spreadsheets i run. not that it isn't possible, but might put on quiet the work load.

that being said, are you guys familiar with the portfolio game on marketwatch?

i just happen to discover it this morning...in fact i went ahead and generated a new game there.

http://www.marketwatch.com/game/cy-mccaffrey-stock-contest <-- click there

i was going to pick the advanced level for this contest but i went ahead used normal for the trial run this week.

starting date is on monday (8/14) with end date (8/18) so essentially just a weekly contest.

just testing this one out this week to see how it all works.

looks interesting.

9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

actually, disregard that link in the above post ... let's use this one instead-
    http://www.marketwatch.com/game/the-stock-market-forums-stock-challenge

i've set it so anyone can join even after the challenge starts on this coming monday ... in addition i'm letting it run all the way to the end of the year.

i also noticed google already went ahead and conveniently indexed that page onto its search engine lol :p

[​IMG]

tbw875 likes this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

so i'm thinking of running both the "normal game", and the "advanced game" just to see what it's like

EDIT: here is the link for the advanced game -> http://www.marketwatch.com/game/the-stock-market-forums-stock-challenge-advanced

here is a brief description for each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only thing that sucks is that this requires people to register a username on marketwatch.com to join the game ... kind of a hassle there i suppose ... but still looks interesting imo

11. tbw875

tbw875 Active Member

Signed up! Looks like fun. The webapp is a little dated and looks like it is in for a makeover soon, but still very functional and easy to use.

$10 commission?! who does that. :p

12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

haha. what's weird is it wouldn't allow me edit the commission rate or any of the other settings when i was setting up the advanced game ... but i just went to create another new advanced game now just to make sure and i see it now allows me to change the settings for the challenge...strange.

let's go ahead and use this link instead -> http://www.marketwatch.com/game/the-stock-market-forums-stock-challenge-advanced

sorry about that!

hope we can get some good participation out of this in here ... i wonder if i could also post the link on one of the subreddits as well. only thing is the game title says "the stock market forums" might have some people thinking i am spamming up the sub for the traffic. =/

twerpner likes this.
  13. twerpner

twerpner Member

I've always liked this idea of a longer term contest where we can edit our choices at will. As soon as I'm back from the mountains in a day or so I plan on signing up too. Good idea @bigbear0083

bigbear0083 likes this.
  14. homosap

homosap Member

These games are insanely addictive for me so count me in, already use Market Watch for information. Playing is a great way to learn ..
    It will have to be next week as it is 11:30 pm here in UK and I will not get time before starting my day job. - sorry

#14 homosap, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    bigbear0083 likes this.
  15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

i suppose it would help if i added the link to this newly added portfolio challenge at the top on the navigation bar here :p

looks like we've got 3 participants in so far ... but it's okay if people don't join before tomorrow's open because i've set it to allow anyone to join up at any time from now until year end :)

[​IMG]

16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

so, how are you guys liking that new portfolio challenge on marketwatch? i guess it would also help if i created a new thread for it that way we can get others participating in there as well.

tbw875 likes this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

hmm ... so it seems to me like the portfolio contest hasn't really gained much traction on here as of yet, i'll keep running that in the background for now, however i'm also thinking of adding that original challenge idea that i had in here, which was having members picking out 10 stocks and seeing who can come out on top in a monthly format.

basically, the same rules would apply as our normal monthly contests, however in this contest members would be making 10 picks rather than just 2 like I have in the normal monthly contest.

while that portfolio game on marketwatch is a good one imo ... it's not very engaging if you will ... as it requires people to click in to another site to play. in addition - members picks(trades) are not very easily visible/accessible as it requires a few clicks until you can see who is trading what, etc. not very user friendly. although i know the folks over at marketwatch are working on coming out with a new and improved version soon.

this 10-pick monthly contest will be nice as it will have members more engaged into the forums here if you will, and everyone can see who makes what picks.

in the meantime, i'll keep that portfolio game open/running until year end, but i'm not too sure if i'll be putting in too much emphasis on it until i see others finding more interest in it.

anyway, look for the new 10-pick monthly challenge thread for next month soon!

18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

been doing some more brainstorming over this weekend and have thought up yet another idea to really spice things up in here -- team competitions!

more on this to come later in the week... ;)

19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just to expand on this idea of mine a bit more here - so I was thinking of running a weekly (or monthly?) competition where there would be teams of 2 participants each.

Since we're a very small community here, and only have about 5 or 6 regular participants of our stock picking challenges we probably can only manage 3 teams in total.

So, as aforementioned each team would have 2 members each (I'm not entirely sure how I will go about selecting who goes to which team. I'm still in the process of brainstorming that one...). But, I would have each member picking out 2 stock picks. So there would be 4 picks for each team per week/month or whatever format we decide on. The same contest rules as our normal picking competitions would apply for this new challenge as well. Think of this as any normal contest, but in this case you will have a teammate picking out stock picks as well, and not just picking them out solo. Does this make any sense for you guys?

The general idea here is to make this a lot more interactive and fun for everyone!

Let me know what you guys think!

Again this is still in the brainstorming stage for now, but I think I'm getting closer to putting this together soon. :)

stock1234 likes this.
  20. stock1234

The team competition sounds fun Cy :D