1. U.S. Futures

r/StockMarketChat & StonkForums Live Chat server completed!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by bigbear0083, Jul 12, 2023.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

Heya guys!

I've been meaning to throw up this post in here for quite sometime now, but never really had the time nor the inclination to do it until today. With our live chat server finally in its completion phase, I've been quite eager to share with you all the new and improved live chat server for StonkForums and r/StockMarketChat! :)

The direct link to get to the live chat page is by following this link here:

http://stonkmarketchat.com

You guys will notice right off the bat that the chat page is prefixed with HTTP and not HTTPS much like how this board was for a time, until HTTPS was setup a few months back.

This is largely because of poor site performance issues I've noticed when HTTPS was turned on for the chat server, as opposed to when it wasn't. There's a good 10+ second lag when running HTTPS with the chat server and only about 2-3 seconds without it. Hence why I've decided to run the chat page in HTTP (for now).

I'm not entirely sure just how much of an issue this will pose for you guys. I believe @stock1234 had once noted that he couldn't access this board on his home computer when HTTPS was disabled. Or that he could only access it from his mobile device.

Not sure about you @Stoch, did you experience similar issues there as well?

Anyway, I've been really super excited to show you guys the new revamped live chat page, which BTW is entirely self-hosted by me. :p That means it is neither connected to or associated with Discord.com in any way, shape or form. It is running entirely 1000% independently by me. :)

Much like how this board here is operating, which I've been self-hosting locally from home as well.

But wait! There's more. :p

I'm also running a website that basically acts as my official subreddit page.

http://smlchat.com

^^ This one here has some live, real-time market data widgets added to it from Tradingview. Feel free to give that a looksee also. :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the barrage of spam bots that have been inundating my server, I've had to P/W protect both my live chat page, as well as my subreddit's community website.

Hence, you just need to use the following login credentials to get past that P/W protection.

USERNAME = b

PASSWORD = b

Done! EZ-PZ lemon squeezy. :p

Once you guys get past the P/W protections, you should be able to access both of those pages with full permissions.

If someone wouldn't mind, and just let me know that you're able to access the chat server page and the other website would be amazingly appreciated!

Hope you guys like the new changes on there. It was in a word -- TEDIOUS lol. :laughing:

I'll have to confess though, I've been pretty active on the new chat server recently. Basically the contents that you guys see me posting on this board here, also get cross-posted to our live chat server as well. However, I tend to be a bit more chatty on the live chat server as opposed to here on the forums for some reason lol. And there's at least 1 or 2 other members in there who don't post on the forums here, but do post on the live chat server there.

Not that I don't care about this board (not at all!), but I'll admit it's slightly bit easier to post using the live chat server, as opposed to the forums here lol. :p

Anyway, sorry to type this massive wall of text here for you guys to have to read. Would really appreciate if someone could confirm for me on their end that my chat server page is loading/working fine for you!

Again, the direct link to get to the live chat server is the following:

http://stonkmarketchat.com

And the link to the subreddit community website is:

http://smlchat.com <- (NOTE: this one does use the HTTPS)

Thanks guys! And looking forward to seeing some of you actually start using the new and improved live chat server! :D

#1 bigbear0083, Jul 12, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2023
    stock1234 likes this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

If you guys managed to get both links working on your ends, it would be pretty awesome to have everyone creating a user account at both pages, and possibly even posting at both as well *hint hint poke poke nudge nudge* :p

The http://smlchat.com site is a nice one because I've actually added a live chat box embedded right on its page. So you can literally be live chatting whilst also be looking at the markets in real-time. :D

SS:
    [​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

And here's the SS for the live chat server page btw:

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  4. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

Very nice Cy :thumbsup: I will create an account once I have more time later today or later this week :thumbsup: I signed in quickly to test the live chat and it worked for me.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

bump! in case anyone missed this thread a few weeks back. super curious if anyone has these working for them. would be totally awesome to see some of you join these tbh. :)

6. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

bigbear0083 likes this.
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

nice! just seeing your post here now oldie! really super excited to hear that you got it all working on your end. :booyah:

i use the live chat a lot to help me with my thread updates here, as i can just c&p the image clippings from there to here.

there's really not a whole heck of alot of people on it. really only like 3-4 at max. but they are people who don't even use the forums here. :p

but it's a nice little quick way to chat. the cool thing is that i'm physically hosting that chat all by my lonesome and not using discord as the host. which means downtime/outages or issues are all on me :p

feel free to use it whenever. i'm still trying to get stock1234 and stoch in there also :laughing:

OldFart likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

btw oldie, let me know if you're able to view and type in the channels on that discord clone server. think you were missing a role which i've now corrected.

9. OldFart

@bigbear0083
    Link ain't working this morning for me...just hour glass

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

oh whoops!! it would actually help if i turned the dang server on lol.

try it now olie and see if you got it working on your end this time. sorry for the issues with that! :p

11. OldFart

12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

hmm, what happens when you try clicking on that orange-like globe on the top left of the sidebar on that page next to where it says friends and premium. does that open the guild? should work i think. otherwise not sure lol.

13. OldFart

14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

heya oldie! @OldFart - if you're out there lurking and have a quick minute on ya, could i run another quick favor by you? just super curious if you also have this website working on your end.

LINK: http://www.smlchat.com

^^ this here happens to be my "official" website/homepage for everything i run on the interwebz.

as you might see on the first look of the site, it did take me quite a bit to set it up with all of the features and data i have packed into the page there lmao. :p

i also have my chatroom server embedded right on that very page.

i'm very curious to know if you are able to get it working.

there is a password login protection (again i have this in place due to web bots that have been bombarding my server) that uses the same exact credentials as the chatroom server.

username = b

password = b

i think if i recall correctly you said you were able to successfully sign up and log in to the discord clone server the other week right?

well you can use that site ( http://www.smlchat.com ) to log into the discord clone server as well.

let me know if you got it working!

really hoping it does, since @stock1234 and @Stoch haven't really found much interest in that haha.

but really hoping you can check it out from time to time. :D

#14 bigbear0083, Aug 17, 2023
    OldFart likes this.
  15. OldFart

bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

This forum (StonkForums.com) is now the exclusive home/community that is associated with my chatroom. :)

Due to recent issues with Reddit, I will soon be discontinuing actively updating content on there.

[​IMG]

17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just copying and pasting this into here too in case anyone missed it from the other thread-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I completely forgot to mention this one in here too. But for those of you who have already registered a username account on the live chatroom server, there is an easier way to get on the chat.

Copying and pasting this URL below into your web browser will effectively allow you to bypass the P/W login protection.

HTML:
    http://b:b@stockmarketchatroom.myvnc.com:8443/channels/1069616619791097913/1069617628605177960

If someone here can also confirm that this works for you would be amazingly appreciated! Many thanks in advance. :)

#17 bigbear0083, Nov 30, 2023
  18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

I think @OldFart you registered on the live chat the other month if I'm not mistaken? Super curious if that above ^^ method works for you also. Many thanks in advance! :)

19. OldFart

@bigbear0083
    Waiting to reset my password...
    Been 10 minutes, still no password reset email :suspicious:

Re-registered as oldfart2015hsm
    Works!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  20. bigbear0083

Staff Member

awesome oldie thx for confirming all is working on your end!! :D

i'm curious if that site could be something that you guys check into daily as well?

it's petty feature rich (maybe a little overwhelming at times lol).

that chat box up top could be useful for like instant messaging.

lmk what you think of that site. thx for helping test run it for me!!

OldFart likes this.