1. U.S. Futures

***TRIAL RUN: TSMF Weekly Stock Picking Team Bracket Tournament***

Discussion in 'StonkForums Competitions' started by bigbear0083, Sep 6, 2017.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

***TRIAL RUN: TSMF Weekly Stock Picking Team Bracket Tournament***
    (Read this first post for the new TSMF Weekly Stock Picking Team Bracket Tournament)

[​IMG]

So as promised the other day, here I will be test running the team bracket tournament idea for next week.

PLEASE NOTE: This particular tournament is only meant to act as a TRIAL run, and will not count toward anything. I just want to get a feel for how this will work for us for when/if we ever do decide to go live with this at some point in the future.

Here is how this team bracket tournament will work-

There will be 4 teams in total, with each team consisting of 2 participants. Each participant will be picking out 2 stock picks (just like the normal weekly stock picking contests).

I will then post up the spreadsheet links where you guys will be able to see how each individual members stock picks are doing, as well as how the team is doing as a whole in general.

The rules for this team challenge will be setup exactly the same as our normal weekly stock picking contest rules to make things as easy as possible for everyone.

Here is just a copy & paste from our weekly contest rules-

Important - Please read carefully: IF ONE OR MORE OF YOUR PICKS ARE OUT OF COMPLIANCE AFTER THE START OF THE CONTEST, YOUR POSITION WILL BE FORFEITED.

*When you make your picks, please make sure there are empty spaces around them, so they come up in the thread search.

Correct: AAPL - Long (Blank space after AAPL)
    Incorrect: AAPL- Long (No space after AAPL)
    • Pick TWO stocks, either long, short, that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange.
    • You cannot duplicate someone's exact play! For example- If someone picks AAPL - Long and BAC - Long first then you can only pick AAPL - Short and BAC - Long or AAPL - Long and BAC - Short <-- you may only duplicate 1 pick but not BOTH! Use the "Search This Thread" link as it only takes a few seconds to see if the ticker has been mentioned.
    • Get your picks in BEFORE the opening bell on Monday, September 11th. I will provide all the opening prices as I have the spreadsheet set to auto look up the opens.
    • The stock/ETF must close at $2 minimum the day before the contest. No Indexes or pinks/OTCBB.
    • You are only allowed 1 leveraged ETF. If you choose two, the second of the two does not count and is still up for grabs. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited. (These are the 2x/3x ETF's)
    • Once you pick something, that is it, it is yours unless it is not a valid pick. This way someone doesn't pick a stock that others want, then at the last second change it. Please do not edit your posts with your picks. If you pick one at a time, just use two separate posts instead of editing your first.
    • Optional - You may post a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for your picks, but it is not required.
    • You may choose to close out your pick at any time during the trading day. Please post your own closing price(s). We will be using the closing price of the 1 minute intraday chart with the time stamp of your post here on TSMF to get your official intraday closing prices!
    If you choose to close out one or both of your picks after the trading day is finished (after the closing bell), you will get the next day's opening price. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN OPENING PRICES!

Once again, it is your responsibility to check that your pick is not a duplicate. The "Search This Thread" link I mentioned makes this as simple as it can be. If you choose to not check and should you duplicate someone's pick, it will not count.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the contest starts at the opening bell on Monday, September 11th!

GLTA.

Click the button below to view TEAM #1 vs. TEAM #4 tournament spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view TEAM #2 vs. TEAM #3 tournament spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the team bracket tournament-
    [​IMG]

2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

We will be going with the same teams for this bracket tourney as we did the trial run for the team challenge a few weeks back. Hope this is okay with everyone.

This is just going to be a short tournament due to the lack of participants for this challenge.

Here's how this will look-

SEMIFINALS:

TEAM #1:
    @twerpner
    @Ken34

vs.

TEAM #4
    @Steven
    @bigbear0083

============================================================================

TEAM #2:
    @stock1234
    @Jrich

vs.

TEAM #3:
    @homosap
    @tbw875

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the team bracket tournament-
    [​IMG]

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

The spreadsheets aren't ready yet but these will be the 2 links we will use for each teams series-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll edit this post with workable button links once the spreadsheets have been completed.

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

If y'all have any questions about anything please post them in here. This is pretty much the same format as we did the test run with the team competition a few weeks back, only this one is in a bracket format. A little different but still pretty much similar as the team competition.

I'm really hoping all 8 of you will be able to participate on this trial run bracket tourney for next week. But if not please let me know asap!

Also if you folks can please me know what you guys think of this bracket tourney idea. You like this idea? or not so much. Thx.

EDIT: Oh and also I was thinking of increasing the # of picks for people to able to choose from. Do you guys think 2 picks is sufficient or could we bump that up to 3 or 4 picks per member? Thoughts? 2 is fine with me but I don't mind to bump it up to 3 or 4 if you guys think that would make this even more fun and interesting. Let me know!

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

BTW fellas, I figured I would post this in here now before it gets too late, but if y'alls wanted to come up with your own team "names" go ahead and post them in here!

Tagging all of our participants for this trial run. Hope you guys see this before next week's open.

@twerpner
    @Ken34
    @Steven
    @bigbear0083
    @stock1234
    @Jrich
    @homosap
    @tbw875

Also, in case someone were to ask ... this trial run of the team bracket tournament challenge is just going to be a best of 3-series ... in other words the team to win 2 weekly head-to-head games first will advance to the next round.

If you guys have any other questions let me know.

Lastly, I guess you guys are all cool with just having members pick out 2 picks instead of 3 or 4 picks? Either is fine with me, but I thought I would ask you guys. I could do 3 or 4 picks per member if you guys think that would make this tournament more challenging and fun. Please let me know before this weekend. Thx!

6. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

I should be able to post my picks this weekend, just don't have much time to do any research though so I would need some luck :p

7. Steven

Steven Active Member

LOL glad we didn't start this week. I really let AMBA get away from me.

8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

I've been meaning to ask ... how's the move coming along? Really appreciate you participating on all the competitions even despite your move! :D

stock1234 likes this.
  9. stock1234

Thank You for asking Cy. Just really busy cleaning and moving things to my new home, and then I have to change addresses for a lot of things and buying a few furnitures as well. Anyway I should be moving into my new home late next week.

No problem, I am glad that I haven't missed my picks for the competitions here, when I take my break I make sure that I come here to make my picks :D

Jrich and bigbear0083 like this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

hopefully everyone will be able to make their picks for this week! but just in case someone doesn't show up in here i would go ahead and add @anotherdevilsadvocate to this bracket tournament.

however, in the event that we have more than 1 person not show up, then i may need to postpone this trial run and try it again on a week that everyone is present. we'll see.

here's to hoping everyone chimes in before tomorrow's open though...

11. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is this week's team bracket tournament spreadsheets in case I'm unable to get around to it later tomorrow-

[​IMG] <-- click there to view!
    [​IMG] <-- click there to view!

NOTE: *Ignore the current "opening prices" as those will automatically correct to tomorrow's opening prices after 9:30am eastern time.*

Good luck to all of our participants in here for this first ever trail run of the team bracket tournament this week! :cool:

@twerpner
    @Ken34
    @Steven
    @bigbear0083
    @stock1234
    @Jrich
    @homosap
    @tbw875

NOTE: I am just posting up this week's spreadsheet a little earlier than usual in here as I have a busy day ahead of me for tomorrow. I will continue adding members picks up until the 9:30am eastern time opening bell tomorrow morning so don't think you are excluded from this week's contest if I haven't listed your name up right now. I just wanted to get this spreadsheet posted in here and out of the way so I don't have to worry about getting it up at a later time tomorrow. ;)

Keep in mind that this is a best-of-3-series. Which means the team to notch 2 weekly wins FIRST advances to the next round!

Have fun and GLTA this week! :D

12. Ken34

Ken34 Active Member

your using our picks from the weekly thread right?

13. bigbear0083

Staff Member

yep, correct. they will be the same from the main weekly thread unless someone states that they want to use different picks for this team bracket tournament.

14. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Luck will do fine;)

What you think about "team J234"

stock1234 likes this.
  15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Alright! Looks like we're just waiting on @tbw875 ... but just in case he is not available to participate this week, I've got @anotherdevilsadvocate waiting in the wings and ready to pair you up with @homosap so that at least we'll have our 8 participants in for this trial run this week.

16. stock1234

Sounds good :D

Jrich likes this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

BTW, in case anyone is ever looking around for the spreadsheet links, they can also be found at the very bottom of the first post of this thread. GLTA this week in this Round 1 Week 1 of best of 3 series! :D

18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

...and now official. welcome to the tourney marcy.

TEAM #3:
    @homosap
    @tbw875 @anotherdevilsadvocate

[​IMG]

Jrich likes this.
  19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here's the update as of Day #1 of this 1st Round Week 1 Series:

TEAM #4 with the lead but just barely to open up this team bracket tournament.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Similar deal here with the other series between TEAM #3 and TEAM #2, however in this case both teams are in the red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But we still have 4 more trading days left to go to see who will pull out Week #1 of this best of 3 weekly series! :D

GLTA.

20. tbw875

tbw875 Active Member

Hey Guys! Apologies for my absence. I've filled Cy in last week why life has been crazy...let me just say it's all been worth it!!!

In SF again this week. I'll do my best to jump on board next week. Sorry I let ya down @homosap!

Jrich likes this.