1. U.S. Futures

The Official August 21st Total Solar Eclipse Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by bigbear0083, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ready or not folks, but exactly 2 weeks from today will be a very rare event here in the states!

We will have a total solar eclipse starting at approx 2pm ET on Monday, August 21st.

How rare of an event is this you may ask? Well, evidently there hasn't been a total solar eclipse that swept through the middle of the country quite like this one in 100 years! Wow! :eek:

Here is the map showing the areas that will see 100% totality

[​IMG]

I'm located in Charlotte, so for us we will just get the "partial" eclipse ... about 90% of it ... not too bad. I could just drive a few miles south of here to see it all, but meh, the traffic will likely be horrific that day! So, I'll just settle on seeing it from my home. :p

I just really hope the weather will cooperate on that day!!

This is a once in a lifetime event for much of us folks living in the US, so if we're gonna have this happen please be sunny out that day! :p

I will try to post up pics in here, and maybe even a video clip if I can, providing I get a good shot. If it's cloudy and rainy as it's been here as of late then of course forget it!

Should be a fun day nevertheless. :D

Steven likes this.
  2. tbw875

tbw875 Active Member

Hey there it is!

I was thinking of driving down to Oregon for it. Unfortunately my friend's cabin is not in totality, and every campground has been booked for likely years. The small town of Madras, OR has a population of 6,000. In two weeks it will be about 250,000. That's insane. No thanks.

So, I'll see if I can get up to the rooftop of my building in Bellevue. (Assuming the smoke clears) We'll have a great view of the mountains along with it!

Also it's my mom's birthday.

Timbo likes this.
  3. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

We are in the direct path "Nashville,Pegram, Tn.' and should get the full effect, will be interesting to see the once in a lifetime event. My son's school is closing for the day, because of the expected swarm of people coming in to witness it.

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

about a week left to go for the big event ... really hoping we get nice weather ... as of now (although still way too early to predict) they've got us for a clear day hope that holds up

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Posted this up on the weather thread but look at our forecast for Monday!

Except for a few clouds, it's looking pretty darn good around here for that solar eclipse eh? :D

[​IMG]

6. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Tomorrow is the big day, school is closed and lots of folks are expected to drop in our area for the event. We are working so it will be interesting to see the inflow of traffic.

7. Steven

Steven Active Member

Looking forward to it. Looks like we are gonna get near a 7 magnitude here in Yuma, AZ

8. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Remember to wear your viewing glasses. 71vs8Y1P4-L._SL1200_.jpg 20170819_072242.jpg
    :D

Jrich and fireopal like this.
  9. fireopal

fireopal Member

Initially wasn't that interested in seeing it but changed my mind like yesterday but can't find any glasses near me so bought a box of cheerios to do this lol >> Can’t find any glasses around me but kinda waited until last minute so am doing this >> Can't find the protective glasses to watch the solar eclipse? Go old school - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eclipse-go-old-school/?utm_term=.e6807f616515

bigbear0083 and Timbo like this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Man, I'm really itching to drive a few miles south of here just so I can get a glimpse of this "totality" experience. Not sure if it's worth it though. Traffic is going to be a nightmare coming back. Hmm... I'll be getting 98% coverage here in Charlotte ... does 2% really make that much of a difference? I guess it does since apparently I heard that is the difference between seeing a moonlit night compared to seeing a sunrise/sunset feel. This is a once in a lifetime event after all. I dunno... Probably will just settle on seeing it from my home. Seems like it's just way too much to go out just for that 2% :p

I'll try to get some video of this event today and have it posted up on my Youtube channel.

Timbo likes this.
  11. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

On the road now, start at 5am.. We had a drivers meeting this morning to discuss the influx of traffic, it's a big event and LOTS are going to be coming in for the show,so we're on our toes and being Xtra careful.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. fireopal

fireopal Member

Just heard that won't be visible without glasses in my area and will just look like a cloudy day so not sure cheerios box is gonna work :(

13. fireopal

fireopal Member

REMINDER >> keep your pets inside during the eclipse.

Timbo likes this.
  14. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Our trucks are downed between 1&2, FONTANEL is having a eclipse event, so we dont want to be in their way, its getting a hair dimmer but haven't seen the full effect.YET..

15. fireopal

fireopal Member

peeking where i am & sun is out & can tell something is happening BUT cheerios box not working & i wanna look up but won't

Timbo likes this.
  16. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Got the full effect, that was amazing. Recorded it but doesn't do it justice
    Noticed what appeared to be the north star.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Awesome @Timbo! Glad to hear you got to experience that man!

Admittedly, I'm kind of bummed out here. I was all ready to hit the road at about roughly 10am eastern to Spartanburg, SC. But I checked up on the traffic situation on the roads and just said "forget that shit". I would have most likely not even made it to the point of totality, and would have just been sitting in traffic and missed the whole event in the car. So, I opted to just stick around the house and view it from home.

We only got to see the partial eclipse (98%) here in Charlotte, and while we had absolutely clear blue skies at the time the eclipse, it wasn't nearly enough to really make you go "WOW LOOK AT THAT!" type reaction...

It was nice to experience that nevertheless, but a little disappointing that I didn't get to see the totality. Even just 2% sunlight makes a huge difference.

Oh well, maybe in 2024 which is when the next total solar eclipse is expected to cross over the U.S. again.

7 years a long way's away though. :(

18. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Prety lame here in north Texas... just looked like someone replaced a 100 wat bulb with a 75 wat bulb

fireopal likes this.
  19. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

LOL at the 75 watt.. recorded it but can't figure how to upload it here. At home the crickets were chirping and the roosters were crowing

fireopal and Jrich like this.
  20. fireopal

fireopal Member

made me laugh out loud and same here in my area!

Jrich and Timbo like this.