1. U.S. Futures

Stock Market Daily Discussion Thread for October 9th - 13th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by bigbear0083, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

B.I.G. Tips – Analyst Sentiment Heading into Earnings Season
    Oct 10, 2017

Earnings season kicks off this week as the first of the major companies start to report Q3 numbers. Most of the big names reporting are all Financials like Blackrock (BLK) on Wednesday morning, Citigroup (C) and JPMorgan (JPM) on Thursday morning, and then Bank of America (BAC), PNC, and Wells Fargo (WFC) on Friday before the open, so we will have to wait a little while longer to get a better read on things in general.

[​IMG]

Asset Class Total Returns Over the Last 10 Years
    Oct 10, 2017

Below is a look at our asset class performance matrix showing total returns for key ETFs that we track on a regular basis. Since today marks the 10-year anniversary of the start of the Financial Crisis bear market for the S&P 500, we thought it would be helpful to see how various asset classes have performed over the last ten years. We also include change from the ultimate low of the bear market on 3/9/09 as well as 5-year returns.

We’ll let the table do the talking on this one!

[​IMG]

The Best and Worst Stocks and Sectors Since the Start of the Financial Crisis
    Oct 10, 2017

Ten years ago today marked the peak of the mid-2000s bull market for the S&P 500 and the start of the Financial Crisis bear market that ran from 10/10/07 to 3/9/09. Below is a look at S&P 500 sector performance over the last ten years along with how much each sector declined at its bear market low. We also include each sector’s current gain from its bear market low.

As shown, the Technology sector has gained the most over the last ten years from the prior bull market peak at +144%. Consumer Discretionary and Health Care are up the 2nd and 3rd most. Three sectors are still down from the 10/9/07 peak, however — Financials, Telecom, and Energy.

From their bear market lows, Technology, Consumer Discretionary, and Financials are up the most with gains of more than 400%. Both Telecom and Energy, on the other hand, are up less than 85% from their bear market lows.

[​IMG]

Below is a chart showing the rolling 10-year percentage change for the S&P 500 throughout its history. Note that the index is currently up 62.6% over the last ten years, which is well below the average rolling 10-year change of +103%. Moving forward from here, this reading should start to increase at a quick pace given that ten years ago today was the prior bull market peak. If the index were to stay at its current level, on March 9th, 2019, the rolling 10-year change would be +276% (the current % change from the bear market low on 3/9/09).

[​IMG]

Below is a look at the current Russell 1,000 stocks that are up the most over the last ten years. There are 13 stocks that are up more than 1,000% over this time period, with Netflix (NFLX) on top at nearly +6,000%. Back on October 9th, 2007, NFLX was trading at $3.26/share. It’s currently at $196.87/share.

Other notables on the list of winners include Priceline (PCLN), Amazon.com (AMZN), Mastercard (MA), and salesforce.com (CRM). You may have expected to see Apple (AAPL) at the top of the list, but it ranks 32nd with a 10-year gain of 550%.

[​IMG]

2. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

Thursday morning should be interesting with those big banks reporting :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

get those dow 23k hats ready soon :p

i've lost track how many new closing highs we've had this year ... it's amazing to me that we're still setting new highs even in october :eek:

after the earlier morning spike high today i honestly thought we might pull back a little ... lasted all but an hour long :p

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

How Does 2017 Post-Election Year Rally Compare Historically?
    [​IMG]
    Here is the answer to a great question from one of our Twitter followers. Thanks Michael Green‏ @NJForce3. Here are the stats:
    [​IMG]
    Above average gains in the first nine months of post-election years since 1949 (post-WWII) resulted in gains in all of the following fourth quarters with no losses and slightly higher average gains. But subsequent midterm years suffered losses in 4 of the 8 years.

Below average gains or losses in the first nine months of post-election years since 1949 resulted in losses in 4 of 9 following fourth quarters, but were followed by big gain in subsequent 5 midterm years, with big losses in 2 and flat markets in 2.

So, just because we are having a banner post-election year so far that is not an indication the market will be great next year.

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

6. stock1234

Seems like the yields and the dollar are moving lower after the FED Minutes

7. stock1234

Inverted Yield Curve in 2018? Perhaps, If Fed Keeps Up This Pace

https://www.bloombergquint.com/mark...rve-in-2018-perhaps-if-fed-keeps-up-this-pace

(Bloomberg) -- An inverted yield curve, a clear sign investors see an impending recession, may be just around the corner. And it’s all thanks to the Federal Reserve’s resolve to stick to its tightening path.

That’s the view of Lacy Hunt, chief economist at Hoisington Investment Management. A bond bull since 1990, he sees the Fed playing a dangerous game as it starts to unwind its $4.5 trillion balance sheet. It’s a move that Hunt says will likely choke off credit growth and curb excess reserves, slowing the economy and suppressing inflation, which is already stubbornly low.

Bottom line: Hunt gives the Fed five months before it pauses on balance-sheet reduction. But, if policy makers stay the course into late 2018, he sees a good chance the Treasury yield curve will invert entirely.

[​IMG]
    “I’m very doubtful that they’ll be able to unwind the balance sheet to the extent they say they will,” Hunt, a former economist at the Dallas Fed, said in a telephone interview. “The long bond is notoriously volatile, but what will determine the long-bond yield is inflationary expectations,” which will decline as the Fed tightens, he said.

The yield curve from three months to 10 years last inverted in August 2007, four months before the U.S. entered an 18-month recession. An inversion of those maturities predicted the past seven economic downturns. A month ago, the spread fell to 97 basis points, the lowest since 2008.

The Fed is set to release the minutes Wednesday from its September meeting, when it announced plans to start its balance-sheet unwind this month. Some policy makers at the Fed are already sounding the alarm on the risk of tightening too much for the economy to handle.

“We have to be careful in our further moves,” Dallas Fed President Robert Kaplan said at an Aug. 17 event in Lubbock, Texas. “If the curve gets flat or inverted, that historically has been” a sign of economic trouble.

The median projection among Fed officials calls for a fed funds target rate 2.125 percent by the end of 2018, a percentage point higher than now. For the full yield curve to invert, the 30-year bond yield would likely have to test its record low of 2.09 percent set in July 2016.

That same month, Hunt, speaking about Treasury yields, said: “We do not believe that the secular low is at hand. We believe it’s in front of us.”

That, of course, hasn’t panned out. But if he’s right about the impact of the Fed’s balance-sheet unwind, the $14.1 trillion Treasuries market could be in for the flattest yield curve in a decade. And the economy headed for a recession.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

slightly o/t here but is anyone experiencing any lag on finviz today? i'm running on google fiber so i know it can't possibly be coming from my end can it? :confused:

also is it just me or is anyone else getting hit with a red warning message when viewing my morning market movers thread? i'm running on the google chrome browser.
    not really sure what is going on there but just want to make sure i'm not the only one! o_O

9. anotherdevilsadvocate

Why is Bloomberg writing this on their India site?

I'm not seeing the Stocktwits sidebar on finviz...was starting to think they changed that to premium-only "service".
    As for the red warning message, I only get a "plugin blocked" thing in the address bar.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

The Least Exciting Record Ever
    Oct 11, 2017

With minimal percentage moves on a seemingly daily basis, the DJIA is coming extremely close to having its least volatile year on record. Below, we show the index’s average daily percentage (positive or negative) move by year going back to 1900. So far in 2017, the DJIA has seen an average daily move of just 0.306%. The only other year on record where the average daily move was smaller was in 1964 and at 0.302% it was just barely lower at that.

Keep in mind that there is still another two and a half months left to go in 2017, so this average could certainly rise or fall from here. In order to make a run for the record books, the DJIA has to average a daily move of +/- 0.29% or less (~65 points) for the remainder of the year. Considering that the DJIA has averaged a daily move of 61 points since the start of September through now (a time of year where volatility typically peaks), 65 points or less wouldn’t be a stretch.

[​IMG]

11. anotherdevilsadvocate

Surprised that SNAP went right up to $16, made a heck of a push end of day...Interactive Brokers doesn't have any shares to short :(

homosap likes this.
  12. stock1234

@anotherdevilsadvocate Maybe they just reposted it on their Indian site https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rve-in-2018-perhaps-if-fed-keeps-up-this-pace

@bigbear0083 Finviz not really lagging for me, but I used it a moment ago rather than earlier today, so I am not sure if there was any issue with Finviz earlier today :p

13. stock1234

If we don't get some volatility by early December then I guess this could be one of the least volatile year ever since we tend to have very little moment end of the year :p

14. homosap

homosap Member

Seeing a down day - although I posted flat - gold up a futures negative - interest rate hike on the cards and some large caps causing concern - XON, APPL, GE, PG - Oh and Uncle Sam seems to like arguing on Twitter rather than passing legislation to help the market!

15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

16. stock1234

I think the Dow, the S&P and the NASDAQ all hit the intraday ATH at some point earlier today, let’s see if the indexes will close strongly :D

17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

this is like watching the movie grounghog day lol

looks like the transports also getting in on the ATH party today as well ... now trading well above that 10K level :eek:

stock1234 likes this.
  18. stock1234

This market just continue to grind a little higher and higher in a boring way :p

bigbear0083 likes this.
  19. stock1234

[​IMG]

Wow T down 5%, rarely move that much in a day :eek:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  20. stock1234

Well we have a little bit of selling here, could be a close call for “flat” voters in the daily contest :p