1. U.S. Futures

The politics thread.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Timbo, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Wanted to create a thread to discuss politics. I don't think CY would mind, provided it's kept clean and respectful. We can agree to disagree without acting like 2 year old children. That's my only rule NO ARGUING OR FIGHTING PLEASE.. With that established, I consider myself a independent, neither republican or democrat. I vote for whoever I feel will do the best job. Overall I'm satisfied with President Trump and what has been accomplished so far, it hasn't been easy by any means. The North Korea issue is a little concerning as unless they are stopped it will only get worse. Building up our military was a major step forward and the other World powers have been put on notice. Thoughts????

OldFart, fireopal and bigbear0083 like this.
  2. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Perhaps President Trump had a little to do with the market setting all time highs, unemployment numbers dropping, and the other numbers that show signs of improvement. Now how can he deal w the kazillion trillion of debt?? Glad to see N Korea ease up a little on the threats, I could see the beginning of WW3 if it ever spun to far out of control.

OldFart likes this.
  3. fireopal

fireopal Member

i liked your post b/c i too am an independent BUT don't agree with your assessment when it comes to Trump. Have never voted in my life BUT came close 3x >> Bill Clinton, Obama and Trump. However, could not vote for any of them after hearing/catching them in lies and Trump was off the charts in this area. Initially believed we needed a good business person but do not agree with much of what he has done so far and think he truly is suffering from the early stages of dementia and his mind set is way too old. There is much going on that we do not know and will never know unless we balance our news with independent news sources in other countries, which was something i learned as a young one. Am first generation in this country (family is from Denmark) and my grandparents would wait on the news papers from Europe to get the other side of the story that the main stream media here does not provide. We are very censored and if Trump had his way we would be even more so which is very scary imo.

twerpner and Timbo like this.
  4. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

No doubt, fully agree for the most part. The political system is a shame the way it operates. The question is how can we change it? What would it take to do what's in the best interest of the Country?

OldFart and fireopal like this.
  5. fireopal

fireopal Member

^^ Good question that i don't have an answer for but i personally think/believe the system needs to change because it's based on sides and we live on a round planet without sides lol

Timbo likes this.
  6. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

My party is Freedom!

So id like to see free market capitalism reach its full potential... which i dont beleive it ever has due to constant shifts of power and differing political policies

Typical American, i beleive my country is better than yours.... So i think poverty should be faught with better job growth in non service industries, NOT more social programs that push the goal line farther away and just make life more comfortable on the bench like in other countries

That said, i think Trump is the man for the job.... if i had it my way, we would use science and medical technology to bring Reagan back..... but since thats not an option, i beleive Trump is the next best thing

OldFart likes this.
  7. fireopal

fireopal Member

#7 fireopal, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  8. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Administrator
    Staff Member

i didn't feel like starting up a new thread for this, so i'm just placing this right in here.

are any of you guys from around las vegas, or might happen to know anyone from around that area? we had some very tragic news overnight ... they're calling this the worst mass-shooting in u.s. history. :(

my thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims families :(

9. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

Very sad indeed :( Maybe we should seriously think about a little more gun control, it wouldn't completely getting rid this kind of tragedy but could reduce it significantly if the change goes well. I am in Hawaii, we have some pretty strict gun laws here and I have never owned a gun before though, so those of you from the mainland might have a very different opinion

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Opinions vary no matter where you live

Fact is, the fully automatic weapons used in this tragedy have been banned since 1986..... sadly the law can not prevent things like this

11. twerpner

twerpner Member

Automatic weapons like the one used are banned if "Tobacco and Firearms only considers a gun to be automatic if a single pull of its trigger results in a multiple rounds being fired" All the shooter had to do is buy the gun and then upgrade/buy another piece to change it from semiautomatic to full automatic. Buying these components to upgrade any gun to full automatic is completely legal.

No one should be able to make or get stuff that causes this much carnage. Gun control =/= taking away the 2nd amendment.

12. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

The quirky part is, its legal to buy those parts, but its still illegal to own a gun with those parts in it

If the second amendment is ever taken away, that will be the day we actually exercise it

I know plenty of people who have been stocking up for that moment..... remember, 2A has nothing to do with hunting

13. twerpner

twerpner Member

No one wants to take away the 2nd amendment, but the NRA and gun manufacturers would like for every gun owner to think thats the case so it helps their bottom line. Anytime theres any talk of restricting the types of guns or gun accessories that the general public can obtain, they sound the alarms on "infringing our rights". Its really telling that there can't even be government research done on gun deaths due to these lobbies. If 20+ children being killed years ago in Sandy Hook doesn't wake people up, sadly I don't think anything will.

14. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Idk... we all woke up after 9/11... and they still havn't banned airplanes

15. twerpner

twerpner Member

Of course they didn't but they regulated airlines, airports, and security. Maybe they should do the same for guns?

Unfortunately the sad truth is that without reform on this issue, more and more events like this will keep happening. The status quo obviously isn't working in the US.

16. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

It may seem that way on the surface since tragedies like this are so high profile

But on sheer numbers, its far from an epidemic

Although im sure we both agree one tragedy is one too many!.... we wont agree that "gun control" is the solution... that is evident in Chicago which is the gun violence capital of the US, and happens to be in the state with the most strict "gun control" laws in the US
    20171005_075948.png

17. twerpner

twerpner Member

Very misleading to quote only murders by mass shootings when talking about gun deaths in the US. Even more so to quote only one city when talking about gun control as well. Even when adjusting the rest of the world to match the population in the US, it's quite evident that guns are problem here more than literally every other country in the world. Australia had a mass shooting in the 90s, enacted gun control, and deaths by guns have been minimal since.

The fact of the matter is the US has a statistically significant amount of the mass shootings and gun deaths in the world. A category that I'm sure you can agree it is not best to be the world leader in.

Attached Files:

18. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

The lefts idea of gun control is banning a certain type of gun that looks scary

Hand guns do the exact same thing as the scary guns and are responsible for far more deaths

Another statistic thats conveniently over looked is that America also has the largest number of legal gun owners who have never killed anyone... roughly 80 million

19. twerpner

twerpner Member

I just find it very, very hard to be on board with the notion that the gun death epidemic in the States is the new norm. I think the US should strive to be better, and not put any potential fixes (i.e. gun control) down the drain because of political issues.

20. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Gun control is useless considering there are millions out there that are not or ever will be registered. Just another lame duck attempt to disarm the folks that respect firearms and use them in a civilized manner.

Jrich likes this.